WRITING THE WEST
Future Directions for Western Sydney’s Literary Culture
On 4th February, 2016 WestWords convened Writing the West, a seminar and planning workshop to set future directions for Western Sydney’s literary culture at Casula Powerhouse Arts Centre. The seminar and workshop was facilitated by Sue Boaden, Principal of Sue Boaden Cultural Planner and a WestWords Director.
In particular Writing the West asserted WestWords’ commitment to bring the various and diverse stakeholders together to:
- celebrate Western Sydney’s literary culture
- build a picture/map of Western Sydney’s literary landscape, of contributing organisations, individuals, specialist groups and their locations
- foster collaborative networks
- share ideas
- identify priorities and strategies for the development of Western Sydney literature
- contribute to building Western Sydney’s cultural brand, its capacity and long-term sustainability.
Invited were stakeholders in literature development from right across Western Sydney, representatives from ArtsNSW and the Australia Council, as well as representatives from externally based organisations operating occasional programs in the region. Over 50 delegates joined the discussion.
The report detailing the course and outcomes of the day can be found here:
WestWords_Writing the West_FINAL report
We are interested in hearing further comment and suggestions as we continue to contribute to a vibrant literature of and for Western Sydney.
Please email us at email@example.com