Applications close 10th March!
The life of a writer is more than just writing.
A year-long training and mentorship program for up to eight emerging writers and multi-disciplinary artists between the ages of 16-25 years old to become a WestWords Academian.
WestWords Academy will provide early career development for the select group of artists, supporting and mentoring them to hone their craft, develop projects, seek opportunities and run arts events.
As part of this program, throughout the year WestWords will organise seminars and workshops, led by expert facilitators, and will include opportunities to gain hands on experience running events and showcasing your work.
WestWords Academy will:
- Provide mentoring for you to hone your craft
- Help you build community
- Train you to do admin and marketing for yourself and your projects
- Equip you with skills to practice your art in a self-sufficient way
WestWords Academians will:
- Receive one on one mentoring for their art
- Receive free passes to all WestWords workshops, masterclasses and events
- Be required to attend monthly seminars focused on the business side of being an artist
- Shadow WestWords facilitators at schools, masterclasses and workshops held by WestWords.
- Have the opportunity to guest on WestWords’ regular local radio slot and on The WestWords Podcast
- Plan a WestWords Academians showcase to be held at the end of the program
- Be aged between 16-25
- Be an emerging* writer or word-based artist
- Applicant must be able to demonstrate a strong and recent connection to the Greater Western Sydney region. You may:
- have been born and raised in Greater Western Sydney **
- have lived in Greater Western Sydney for more than 2 years
- have worked in the region for a substantial length of time and within the past 5 years
- Fill out WestWords Academy application form. Only online applications are accepted.
- Applicants must demonstrate a devoted interest in a word-based art form.
- Applicants should be available to participate in the program period, which runs from April – December 2020.
- Please note successful applicants will need to pay a $150.00 fee to cover the costs of the program. If you have any income stress, please email WestWords outlining this, for assessment. Please send emails to email@example.com
* Emerging is defined as in the first five years of their practice as a writer.
**NB Greater Western Sydney is defined as:
The council districts of Blacktown, Blue Mountains, Camden, Campbelltown, Canterbury- Bankstown, Cumberland, Fairfield, Hawkesbury, The Hills, Liverpool, Parramatta, and Penrith and Wollondilly.
All applications will be assessed by a panel made up of WestWords and Independent members.
Terms and Conditions
It is expected that participants will commit to the following T & C’s and if participants do not, WestWords reserves the right to discontinue involvement in the program. Membership fees will not be reimbursed should this occur.
It is expected that participants will commit to the following:
- Understand that the program fee must be paid before entry into WestWords Academy can be finalised.
- Attend a minimum of five seminars from the above dates. Participants are required to show their commitment to the program by attending the required number of events.
- Successful applicants are required to join our WW Academian FB group, for updates and communications.
Applications to WestWords Academy will close on 10th March 2020.