Applications are now open for places in the 2021 WestWords Academy!
WestWords Academy is a year-long training program for up to emerging writers and multi-disciplinary artists to become a WestWords Academian.
WestWords Academy will provide early career development for the select group of artists, supporting and mentoring them to hone their craft, develop projects, seek opportunities and run arts events. Throughout the year WestWords will organise seminars and workshops, led by expert facilitators focussing on everything you need to know to be a writer – beyond the words on the page. The program will include opportunities to gain hands-on experience running events and showcasing your work. You will have access to WestWords workshops and masterclasses, mentorship opportunities and its knowledge bank.
I would tell any new Academians to make the absolute most of the program, even if you’re not feeling well and struggling to engage. What I gained from it was invaluable. Go to every seminar, engage as much as possible, because it will benefit you in ways you probably couldn’t have predicted before diving head-first into it.
The first session on admin was everything I hoped for, the session on pitching to agents was even better and the session on planning events was flawless.
Benjamin, 2020 Academian
Topics covered include administration for the independent artist, pitching, building community, presentation skills, event planning, building your ‘brand’, where to find outlets for your work, resources amongst others.
90 minute seminars will take place on:
Sunday 21st March, then the first Sunday of the month April-November
A showcase event will scheduled and run in November by the members of the Academy, supported by WestWords
How to apply:
Email the answers to the following questions via email@example.com
- Name, affiliation with western Sydney and practice.
- Contact details inc. email, mobile and land address
- Describe your experience, interests and passions?
- Why you, why now?
- Can you commit to a year-long program (March-December)?
WestWords Academians are expected to:
- attend monthly seminars focused on the business side of being an artist.
- shadow facilitators at schools, masterclasses and workshops held by WestWords.
- Actively participate in the showcasing opportunities afforded by the program.
- Applicants must demonstrate a devoted interest in a word-based art form.
- Applicants should be available to participate for the Program period, which runs from March – December 2020.
- Please note successful applicants will need to pay a $150.00 fee to cover the costs of the program. If you have an income issue, don’t be shy, please email WestWords outlining this, for assessment. Please send emails to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Emerging is defined as the first five years of practice without major publication.
Terms and Conditions (T & C’s)
It is expected that participants will commit to the following T & C’s and if participants do not, WestWords reserves the right to discontinue involvement in the program. Membership fees will not be reimbursed should this occur.
It is expected that participants will commit to the following:
- Attend a minimum of six seminars from the above dates.
- Successful applicants are required to join our WW Academian FB group, for updates and communications.
Applications to WestWords Academy will close March 5th 2021