WestLit Libraries is a partnership between WestWords and Western Sydney Zone libraries. The aim of the collaboration is to:
- expanding reach to new audiences (WS library zone has a reach of over 2 million, and to give an example, in 2014-15 Blacktown sees 1.4 million visitors a year, Children’s programs – 1,107 a year with 50,642 attending (includes carers), Young adult programs – 80 a year with 1,114 attending,
- engaging new participants to our programs,
- increasing opportunities and visibility for writers, and WS writers in particular alone will promote, develop and strengthen the sector.
Activities undertaken will include, but not be limited to:
- Coordinating travelling exhibitions of illustrators’ work, author talks and skills development workshops across the region.
- Evaluating/benchmarking literature programs, resources and services in Western Sydney.
- Developing Writers Groups/Resident Authors for Library Services.
- Increasing the presence of local authors on Library shelves and in Library catalogues in Western Sydney.
Importantly with WestWords in a co-ordination role it will create cohesion and address key issues faced by writers and publishers when working independently with the library sector. In addition by co-ordinating efforts the libraries won’t replicate internal processes across multiple libraries, resulting in cost reduction and additional opportunities for writers and their work. Importantly this partnership bridges gaps between the publishing, writers and library sectors.
Please see below for activities run by each participating library:
Liverpool City Library
As Sydney’s third CBD, Liverpool City Library provides resources, services and events to a diverse community. Rich in its multicultural tapestry, we engage with and provide for a wealth of stories. We aim to maintain impact on the community dialogue and create opportunities to facilitate lifelong learning across 6 library locations. Casula, Carnes Hill, Green Valley, Liverpool, Miller and Moorebank Libraries provide gathering spaces for everyone.
Dress for Success: High Tea and Author talk with Christine Sykes
Sunday, 08 March 2020 | 9:30am – 12pm |
Liverpool | Seniors; Young Adults; General
Enjoy the delights of a traditional high tea following an inspirational talk by author Christine Sykes.
Liverpool Girls alumna and author of the recently published The Changing Room, Christine talks about how women’s lives can be changed by fashion and issues facing women.
Christine Sykes was a volunteer at Dress for Success Sydney for over four years. She served as a Senior Public Servant for 30 years. Now retired, she enjoys the life’s simple pleasures, and is regularly involved in tap dancing, acting, painting and playing the flute. Christine lives with her partner on the south coast of Sydney.
Liverpool City Library
$20 per person
Suitable for Ages 16+