Announcing the recipients of the WestWords-Pinerolo Illustrators in Residence 2021
Congratulations to Nisaluk Chantanakom and Melanie de Boehmler.
Nisaluk Chantanakom started her career as a landscape painter and a graphic designer. As a child, picture books helped ease the pain of culture shock when she moved between countries at age eleven. Inspired by her love of children’s books and their illustrations she began bringing her own imaginary world to life. During her residency, Nisaluk will be working on a book aimed at children aged 3-6.
Melanie de Boehmler is an artist from Bathurst. Melanie completes her imaginative work whilst caring for her mother. Melanie will work on the illustrations for her jointly authored book Roly-Poly Man and His Magical Umbrella during her time at Pinerolo.
A Priceless Opportunity for Illustrators
A week in residence at Pinerolo: The Children’s Book Cottage at Blackheath, in the beautiful Blue Mountains. The self-contained, self-catering cottage offers tranquillity and an inspiring working environment with electric blankets, a wood-burning fire and air-conditioning, for cosiness and comfort in all weather. Fully equipped kitchen for your convenience.
WestWords & Pinerolo have partnered to offer this unique program, aiming to extend illustrators’ knowledge of picture book creation and design, the process of publishing and the publishing industry. Applications from Western Sydney illustrators are encouraged.
One place is available for one week in November. If this is not suitable then every effort to accommodate the preference will be made.
Your working environment will include:
• Art studio and facilities
• Phone and Internet connection
• Daily consultation/mentorship with Margaret Hamilton, a professional publisher of picture books for over thirty years.
Supported and enhanced by:
• Extensive collection of original picture book artwork • Comprehensive collection of Australian picture books • Reference library of books about authors, illustrators and children’s books
• Collection of working drawings, roughs, storyboards and pre-publication materials
• Time to work uninterrupted
Located approx. 2.5km from Blackheath Station and village. Travel to and from Blackheath is not included.
Applications for the residency are now closed.